This blog contains all the instructions to get going with Blogging and Social Media Networks.
There are 6 learning Zones – choose 4 that you are interested in (15 mins per zone or spend the whole session in one zone)
Choose the areas you are most likely will use with your group. Start with the area you’re most interested in. Click on the links to go to each zone:
* Having a web presence – Blogging – WordPress
* Social Media Networks – Facebook
* Photo sharing – Flickr
* Video Sharing – YouTube
* Sound Sharing – Soundcloud
* Collecting and sharing – Pinterest
1. Set up Flickr account using the tutorial below
3. Follow 5 people of interest
Here’s an example of a Flickr page: www.flickr.com/people/letsgoglobal/
Getting started on Flickr
Find out more about how Flickr works, how to set up an account and how to add photos to a Flickr group. Here’s a tutorial:
- Using the tutorial below set up a Pinterest account
- Add a board
- Add 10 pins
- Follow some boards you’re interested in
Link to example of a Pinterest Board
Here’s the instructions for setting up a Pinterest:
What’s a Pin?
Pins are like handsome little bookmarks. Whenever you find something on the web that you want to keep, add it to Pinterest. Your newly minted Pin will be here whenever you need it, and will always link back to the site it came from.
Collect Pins on boards
Boards are where you organize your Pins, and you get to decide what they’re all about. Set up group boards to share ideas and plan stuff with your friends. You can even make a board secret—perfect for gift ideas or other things you want to keep a surprise.
See fresh Pins in your home feed
Your home feed is where you’ll find all sorts of new and inspiring things to add to your own boards.
Need more help? Take a look at Pinterest Help Center.
- Set up Facebook page using existing your existing Facebook profile OR Set up Facebook page using new Facebook profile
- Customise your Facebook page with a header photo (find one on the internet or use one from the media library here)
- Add 1 post
- Add 1 photo
- Add 1 video
Here’s the instructions for setting up a Facebook Page for an organisation:
Click: Company, organisation or institution (as appropriate and follow the online instructions)
There’s a tutorial here if you want more detail:
Another article for those who want to know lots more about Facebook:
- Set up Blog using the tutorial below
- Go to appearance > theme and choose one of the free themes to customise the look and feel of your blog.
- Add 5 posts, including photos
- Continue to Customise the blog (if staying in 1 zone) by working through the tutorial
Here you’ll find the instructions for setting up a blog using the popular blogging platform – WordPress!
Click the link below to go to the online instructions for setting up a blog:
Master the Basics and Beyond
Here is an example of a blog
- Set up account following the instructions in the tutorial below
- Record sound on PC and upload to Soundcloud OR use the soundfiles uploaded here (on dropbox click the blue download button to download the files to your desktop)
- Follow 1 person you’re interested in
- Add 1 comment to a sound you’re interested in
- Customise your soundcloud profile page
Here’s an example of a soundcloud page:
Here’s a getting started tutorial for SoundCloud:
- Set up YouTube account by following the tutorial below
- upload sample video – here are some sample videos you can use (on the dropbox page click the blue download button to save to your desktop first)
- Follow 5 people
- Customise channel
Here’s an example of a YouTube channel:
Follow the tutorial here to get started: